Dissemination sessions and networking events
• 18th May 2018 – Sónia Rodrigues, Oral Communication at the Sessão Regional de Divulgação e Informação sobre o Programa para o Ambiente e a Ação Climática (LIFE) e do Workshop de Capacitação – 2018 (Projeto de Capacitação Nacional - LIFE14 CAP/PT/000004), Universidade de Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal, ~30 participants
• April - May 2018 LIFE networking: contact with APA - Agência Portuguesa do Ambiente, responsible for Project INTER LIFE PT 2016 (LIFE14 CAP/PT/000004) - for exchange of experiences on project management and monitoring.
• 23-31st March 2018 – Networking and consultancy meetings with Professor Gregory V. Lowry and his team at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (18 participants). Prof. Lowry is Sr. Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering), co-supervises Nuno Cruz (PhD student) who is developing his work in the scope of LIFE No_Waste project and provides consultancy for the implementation of the Pilot Project (Action B.1).
• 6th October to 16th November 2017: Mission to Rio Grande do Sul – Brazil - The mission to the UNISINOS – Universidade do vale do Rio Sinos and UNISC – Universidade de Santa Cruz, at Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, was related to the dissemination of the research activities and knowledge that was developed by the research team from University of Aveiro, and related to biomass to energy throughout thermochemical conversion processes and management of ashes and sewage sludge, namely from the pulp and paper industry. The purpose was to develop partnerships with researchers from those universities in in these fields of research. The work developed at UNISINOS also included the establishment of a research partnership in the field of thermochemical conversion of biomass to energy, management and valorization of ashes from biomass combustion and sewage sludge from waste water. Collaboration was established with the research group NucMat – Núcleo de Caracterização de Materiais, coordinated by professor Carlos Alberto M. Moraes, in straight collaboration with professor Regina Célia Espinosa Modolo.
• 20-27th October 2017: Meeting at Carnegie Mellon University (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Pittsburgh PA) (networking including discussion on activities/ joint supervision of a LIFE No_Waste PhD student); 14 participants;
• 16-19th October 2017: Participation in a dissemination and networking meeting at University of Kentucky (Department of Plant and Soil Sciences – Agriculture Science Center) , KY, USA; 12 participants;
• 18-30th April 2017: Meeting at Carnegie Mellon University (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Pittsburgh PA) (networking including discussion on activities/ joint supervision of a LIFE No_Waste PhD student), 16 participants;
• 7-15th February 2017: Participation in a dissemination and networking meeting at Wageningen University and Research and Wageningen Environmental Research (Alterra), the Netherlands; 8 participants;
• 22nd Nov 2016: Project public dissemination session at CESAM/UA
• 12th Jul 2016: Participation at a round table at “Programas Horizonte 2020 e LIFE: Oportunidades e desafios na temática do ambiente, eficiência de recursos, mitigação e adaptação às alterações climáticas, natureza e biodiversidade” (12 July, Lisbon, Portugal) organized by GPPQ and APA ~50 participants;
• 29th Jun 2016: Meeting with the pulp an energy production manager and technicians of the Setúbal Industrial Complex (Navigator Company). The Setúbal pulp mill is one of the largest in Europe, and can produce around 550 thousand tons of bleached eucalyptus kraft pulp each year. Representatives of UA, RAIZ and Navigator Company were present. This meeting allowed to present the project and its objectives, boost collaboration with industry representatives and gather additional information on residual biomass used as fuel at this industrial complex. 10 participants;
• 27-30th Jan 2016: Five project dissemination and networking sessions at Universidade del Este, Universidade del Turabo, Universidad Metropolitana (Puerto Rico) ~50 participants. These sessions promoted under- and graduate students exchange in 2017/8.
Other networking contacts
• Professor Gregory V. Lowry, Walter J. Blenko, Sr. Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Deputy Director, Center for Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology (http://www.ceint.duke.edu), Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA - He co-supervises a PhD student is developing his work in the scope of LIFE No_Waste project. Co-supervision of further graduate students is also envisaged
• Juan F. Arratia, Ph.D. - Executive Director, Sistema Universitario Ana G. Méndez, San Juan - Puerto Rico, http://ac.suagm.edu - He will coordinate exchange of undergraduate students with UA who will develop studies on themes relates to LIFE No_Waste project.
• LIFE networking: contact with Patricia Mora McGinity - Gestiona Global S.L., Badajoz, España, http://www.gestionaglobal.es, responsible for project LIFE iCirBus-4Industries (LIFE14 ENV/ES/000688) - for discussion on common technical challenges.
• LIFE networking: contact with APA - Agência Portuguesa do Ambiente, responsible for Project INTER LIFE PT 2016 (LIFE14 CAP/PT/000004) - for exchange of experiences on project management and monitoring.
• Since April 2017: Partnership with the Portuguese Direcção-Geral das Actividades Económicas (DGAE), Ministry of Economy of Portugal, representing the Portuguese government in the group of experts of the European Commission “STRUBIAS TWG: Technical working group for the development of possible process and product criteria for sturvite, biochar and ash-based products for use in fertilisng products”, in the context of Circular Economy.
Establishment of international technological cooperation
• Visits to industrial installations and establishment of contacts for further cooperation with the company Vida (http://vida-e.com.br/) that performs the management and valorization of ashes from biomass combustion and sewage sludge from wastewater treatment from the pulp industry Celulose Riograndense - Guaíba / RS, Brazil.
A total of 10 notice boards were placed. Please examples next.